The Homes for the Holidays Program
Homes for the Holidays is a way for Warrick Dunn to extend his mother's dream to other single parents working towards first-time homeownership.
"There are a few words that come to mind when I think about my family being chosen for Homes for the Holidays- blessed, thankful, overwhelmed, fortunate, grateful and honored."
Homes for the Holidays Recipient
Homes for the Holidays was founded 1997 under the umbrella of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers community initiatives during Warrick's first year in the NFL. The program expanded in 1998 and Homes for the Holidays began to enhance home ownership in Warrick's hometown of Baton Rouge. When Warrick signed with the Falcons in 2002, Homes for the Holidays followed him to Atlanta. The program was expanded to serve Tallahassee, home to Warrick's alma mater Florida State, in 2007. In 2012 Homes for the Holidays kicked off its national expansion to include Baltimore, Md., Dallas, Tx., Jacksonville, Fla, and New Orleans, La.
The Homes for the Holidays program:
- Provides down-payment assistance for single-parent families who are becoming first- time homeowners;
- Fills their homes with everything a first-time homeowner needs, including: furniture, electronics, large and small appliances, linens, lawn and garden supplies, kitchen supplies, and even food;
- Sets up the first-time homeowner and their children for long-term financial stability and success through continued support services.
- We partner with first-time homebuyer programs;
- Once a year, nomination forms are sent to these programs so they may nominate single parents who have overcome adversity and who will be ready to move into their first house by our designated dates;
- These individuals do not know of their nomination;
- The nomination forms are given to Warrick Dunn to review and make his selections;
- The first-time homebuyer program whose nominee is selected is notified and we work together toward the presentation day and surprise reveal.
- We do not accept nominations from individuals;
- We do not accept nominations from organizations outside of our housing partners;
- We do not work with realtors to match recipients with property;
- We do not have any involvement at all with builders or lenders;
- We do not build houses;
- We do not "give" houses away;
- We do not provide our recipients with mortgages.
A: If you are interested in sponsoring a home, please contact Warrick Dunn Charities.
A: Homes for the Holidays is always looking for dedicated volunteers to help shop for and decorate the homes. If you are interested in giving your time, please visit our Volunteer page and fill out the volunteer application. Once received, you will be entered into our database and contacted when volunteer opportunities arise.
A: Currently, Homes for the Holidays partners with Habitat for Humanity affiliates only. If you are an organization who meets the following criteria and would like to become a Homes for the Holidays housing partner, please contact Cassandra Pell-Dow.
Housing Partner Checklist:
- Offers first-time homebuyer program to single-parent families
- Provides educational resources, classes, workshops to those enrolled in housing program
- Require sweat equity hours from those enrolled in housing program
Any program that does not meet the requirements listed above will not be considered for partnerships.
A: Homes for the Holidays operates through a closed nomination process. We only accept nominations form first-time homebuyer programs like Habitat for Humanity. If you are interested in becoming a first-time homebuyer, we suggest that you contact your local Habitat for Humanity affiliate (www.habitat.org) and inquire about their housing program. Please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that you will be nominated to Homes for the Holidays once you have been approved for housing but we still encourage you to reach out to Habitat because they are a great housing resource.
We do not accept nominations from individuals or programs other than our approved housing partners. Any nominations of this kind will not be considered.
HFTH Corporate Partner